BNP gets a boost

Share This Post

Khaleda’s Cox’s Bazar trip

BNP gets a boost


Media: The Independent

Original URL: BNP gets a boost

E-paper URL: BNP gets a boost

BNP central leaders believe that party chairperson Khaleda Zia’s trip to and from Cox’s Bazar showed the party’s popularity among the masses and created enthusiasm among its workers across the country. The trip, aimed to address the humanitarian issue of the Rohingyas, was an organisational activity visible to them and the people after a long time. This, the leaders believe, would spur the party’s workers into activity to mobilise public opinion in their favour ahead of the next elections.

Local BNP leaders said the chairperson also expressed her satisfaction seeing the large number of leaders, activists and common people at different places on her way. Although Khaleda Zia was visiting Rohingya refugees, the BNP chairperson’s presence in Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar after five years geared up leaders and activists of the party and its wings, they added.

BNP standing committee member Goyeshwar Chandra Roy said people spontaneously greeted Khaleda, as they are fed up and annoyed with the present government. “The message to the BNP chairperson was clear: ‘You go forward, we are with you’. Expectations for a change were reflected through it,” he added. He said the BNP leaders considered it as a positive sign since it revealed the feelings of the masses.

According to Roy, 30 per cent of the gathering had been organised by the party, but the rest 70 per cent, including students, were waiting for hours by the roadside to see and greet the  party chairperson. “It will encourage and gear up the inactive party workers,” he observed.

Another standing committee member, Amir Khosru Mahmud Chowdhury, said the chairperson’s trip has not only invigorated the party rank and file, but also created enthusiasm among the people across the country. “It was a humanitarian programme and not a political

one. But still, people spontaneously greeted the chairperson by standing by the roadside for hours. It proves that the BNP has mass popularity,” he added.

He also said the party rank and file has been encouraged by the chairperson’s trip, seeing the huge response of the people.

Asked whether the chairperson will go on a road march to other parts of the country, Amir Khosru said the party would decide on the matter.

“Madam has talked to us and expressed satisfaction for our arrangement during her visit. She directed us to work together for the party,” said Abu Hashem Bakkar, general secretary of the Chittagong city unit of the BNP.

He also said the leaders and activists of the party and the people of Chittagong are greatly geared up after getting the party’s chairperson in Chittagong. “The government had put the BNP in shackles for a long time. With this tour of the party chief, we have broken free. The people are with the BNP. The chairperson also gave us some instructions for the next polls and maintaining discipline in the party.” he added.

Cox’s Bazar district BNP president, Md Shajahan Chowddhury, told The Independent: “Definitely, it was a great experience for us that our leader visited us after five to seven years, though she came here to see the condition of the Rohingyas. It will surely boost our organisational activities. The leaders and activists are much happier getting her among them. She told us to continue relief activities among the Rohingyas.”

Khaleda Zia went to Ukhiya, Cox’s Bazar, on a four-day trip from Saturday to Tuesday to distribute relief among Rohingya Muslims who fled to Cox’s Bazar due to atrocities of the Myanmar government and army after August 25. The trip ultimately turned into a roadshow as thousands of people were found standing by the road to and from Cox’s Bazar to greet the former premier.

Shamsuddin Illius
Shamsuddin Illius is a print and online media journalist. He has been working in the field (fulltime) of journalism since 2010. He is very much passionate about journalism since his early age. Currently he is the Bureau Chief-Chittagong at The Business Standard.

Related Posts

Dhaka: A Refuge that Needs to be Rescued

With homes swallowed by floodwaters and river erosion, migrants...

The issue of loss and damage at COP26: Progress and frustrations

One of the main contentious issues at the Glasgow...

As winter nears, many in Bangladesh fear a Nipah Virus re-emergence

Date: November 26, 2021 URL: As winter nears, many in...

Moving Migrants

Published: The Buisness Standard Date: 24 July, 2021, 07:45...

Halda losing fish species, spawning in crisis

Published: The Business Standard Date : July 14, 2021 URL: Halda...

Halda’s sorrow from climate change, human action

Published: The Business Standard Date : December 31, 2021 URL:...